Friday, April 17, 2009

Never Suppress a Generous Thought

So, I haven't posted anything for about a month, and this morning here I am posting three things. Anyway, I wanted to share with all of you a great story and thought I heard last night. Our Stake Relief Society put on a fireside with Sister Bonnie D. Parkin, the past General Relief Society President. She told us this great story, and I'm going to try to keep it in mind more often.

This story is about her daughter-in-law's mother who was an excellent seamstress. One day she attended a meeting with President Spencer W. Kimball. President Kimball had on a nice new suit and the thought occurred to her that she should make him a new tie with some silk she had just gotten from New York. That week, she spent time making a tie for the Prophet and then went to deliver it to his home. As she knocked at the door, she starting thinking, "Who am I to make a tie for the Prophet? I shouldn't have done this, I should just go home." She started to leave, but before she could get too far from the house Sister Kimball opened the door and asked her to come back. She (the seamstress) started to fumble over her words and tell Sister Kimball why she was leaving. Sister Kimball looked her straight in the eyes, and said: "Sister, never suppress a generous thought."

For some reason, this really touched me. I think I often am inspired to help somebody or do something for someone, but then I worry too much that I will just be bothering them, or that they will not really want my help. So I am going to try to remember this more often:

Never Suppress A Generous Thought!

2 comments:

m@R(! said...

that is a great story and such wise counsel..i love the easter pictures. your little boy has grown so much the last little while..he looks a lot like Adam

Kyle, Amy, and Joshua said...

Thank you for sharing that thought. I need to be better at remembering that too. I also love your little things about Grant on the side of your blog. Little boys are so fun!